Kookmin University was established in 1946 as Korea's first private university after winning the independence from Japan in 1945. The founders of KMU, key members of the Provisional Government of the Republic of Korea including Shin Ik-hee, envisioned fostering individuals who would lead liberated and democratic Korea. Later in 1959, the foundational philosophy was succeeded by Kim Seong-gon, founder of Ssang Yong Inc., to nurture “practical people and dedicated professionals.” The creed remains relevant today.
Now as one of the largest universities in metropolitan Seoul area, KMU is leading noteworthy educational innovations by carrying out various government-funded projects in various subjects, such as automotive engineering, software, design, natural science, to name a few. Furthermore, KMU has actively collaborated with universities and institutions all over the world and become a globally recognized university.
Currently, we are faced with daunting challenges where trying ordeals are commonplace. Hope has often been obscured by dark clouds in the course of human history. However, we must never forget that the sun continues to shine behind those clouds to protect us and to give us life.
Kookmin University would neither avoid taking risks nor draw back in the face of competition. I fully expect our spirit of challenge to serve as a solid foundation and fortress upon which both the members of our institution as well as all Korean citizens can rely. We will develop the technologies needed to brighten our nation’s future and will become a messenger of goodwill through the power of art. We will also continue to broaden the horizons of the social sciences to foster a society dedicated to the well-being of all constituents.
Through teaching, researching, and sharing, Kookmin University will continue to take on the founder’s call to love of our nation as one family. We hope that the joy of taking on this mission can flow into Korean society and ultimately the global community.
Kookmin University is a home that was built for you. Don't stand outside the door!
Kookmin University is open to everyone.
Hong Jae Yim
President of Kookmin University
- Hong Jae Yim (임홍재, 任弘宰)
- Date of birth: December 15, 1956
- Area of expertise: Automotive Engineering (Safety, NVH, Structure Optimization)
- 1979 B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Seoul National University
- 1983 M.S. Mechanical Engineering, Seoul National University
- 1990 Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Iowa
- 1983-1985Researcher, KIET(Korea Institute for Industrial Economics & Trade)
- 1988-1992 Senior project engineer, General Motors (USA)
- 2002-2018 Educational advisor for technical instruction on Body Structure Design, Hyundai Motors
- 2005-2010Head of the Nano Process and Equipment Development Innovation Cluster, Kookmin University
- 2006-2008Technology advisor, Samsung Mechatronics R&D Center
- 2006-2011Chairman of the operations committee for the Next-Generation High-Speed Railway Development Project, Korea Railroad Institute
- 2006-2018Member of the New Technology Certification Committee and Jang Young-sil Award Screening Committee, Korea Industrial Technology Association
- 2008-2012Head of the Industry-Academic Cooperation Foundation and Business Incubation Center, Kookmin University
- 2011-2012Vice-president, Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers
- 2012-2013R&D and technology advisor, Samsung Techwin Research Center
- 2014-2015President of Seoul-Gyeonggi branch, Leaders in Industry-University Cooperation (LINC) Project
- 2014-2017Vice President for Academic Affairs, Dean of Graduate school, Kookmin University
- 2014-2017Head of the Leaders in Industry-University Cooperation (LINC+), Kookmin University
- 2019President, Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering
- September 2019Elected as 12th President of Kookmin University
Honors and Awards
- June 21, 1996 Outstanding Thesis Award for Science and Technology (Korean Federation of Science and Technology Societies)
- March 15, 2001 Best Teacher Award (Kookmin University)
- October 25, 2012 Academic Award (Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering)
- February 28, 2015 Achievement Award for contributions to technical education and R&D (Samsung Techwin)
- September 17, 2015 Listed in Marquis Who’s Who in the World 2016
- December 18, 2015 Outstanding Instructor of Vocational & Technological Training (Hyundai Motors)
- April 27, 2016 KSME Research Excellence Award in Dynamics and Control (Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers)
- December 14, 2017 Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Education Citation for the contributions to the LINC project