Your dream might stay a dream, but it can come true when it is shared with others. KMU will go through changes, create opportunities, and face challenges with you.
Yu Ji Soo, Ph.D
Kookmin University, the first private university after Korea’s independence, was established by Mr. Shin, Ik Hee and other main members of the Shanghai interim government of Korea.
Deeply rooted in the four founding principles, humanism, nationalism, culturalism, and industrialism that Mr. Kim, Sung Gon had emphasized, Kookmin University has grown into a fixture of the academia of Korea with 24,000 students enrolled.
In the midst of the ever changing academic climate and social changes, with selfless dedication from all members of KMU, we strive to become a globally recognized institute by making a world of academia unique to none other than KMU as well as being bold to the changes and challenges ahead.
Now universities of a knowledge based society have entered into a competition that is more severe than ever before. KMU is trying to solidify its educational foundation to maintain its role as a leading player by employing operative goals. The three operative goals are attracting outside funding, establishing the standards of reasonable distribution of resources, and building an efficient structural system.
Your dream does not have to stay a dream because your dream can turn into a reality when it is shared with others. KMU will dream together with you. KMU will go through changes, create opportunities and face challenges with you. Nothing is impossible when you are with KMU. We will make KMU a university where people want to be a part of, graduates are proud of, and quality of education are valued.
Today I urge you to be a part of KMU as we go through each new challenge and turn it into an opportunity!
- 1971.03~1975.02 Graduated from Seoul National University
- 1979.08~1981.05 M.A.Business Administration, Illinois State University, USA
- 1981.06~1986.10 Ph.D. Business Administration, University, Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA
- 1978~1979Researcher, KIST Technology Management Laboratory
- 1987~2018.2 Professor, Department of Business Administration, Kookmin University(KMU)
- 1995~1996 Advisor, Samsung Aerospace Industries (currently Samsung Techwin Co, Ltd.)
- 1997~2000Vice President of Financial Management, KMU
- 1998~1999Executive Director of Korean Production & Operations Management Society
- 2000~2002Dean of Graduate School of Business Administration, Dean of Graduate School of International Trade, Director of Kangnam Education Center, KMU
- 2000~2006Advisor, Hyundai Motor Group Auto Forum
- 2002~2004Dean of the College of Economics and Business, KMU
- 2004~PresentMember of Korea Auto Forum in Korea Automobile Manufacturers Association
- 2006~2007President, The Korean Academy of Motor Industry
- 2006~2008Vice President of Research & International Affairs, KMU
- 2008~PresentAdvisor, The Korean Academy of Motor Industry
- 2015.05~2015.12The Chairman of the Organizing Committee for the 9th OSS world Challenge
- 2012.03~2016.03Dr. Ji Soo Yu is inaugurated as the 10th President of Kookmin University
- 2016.03~PresentDr. Ji Soo Yu is inaugurated as the 11th President of Kookmin University
Honors and Awards
- 2007.05 The Presidential Citation, 2007 (The 4th Automobile Day)
- 2015.12 Prize for Excellence in Media Contribution Section The 26th Market Economy Grand Prize Award Ceremony Hosted by The Federation of Korean Industry
- 2016.01 Alumni of the Year, University of Illinois, USA
- 2017.09 Awarded Order of Civil Merit (Korea Unification Education Sector)